durantdemocrat.com

Firefighters respond to electrical short at Sherrer’s Restaurant

October 22, 2013

An electrical short caused a small amount of smoke at a local restaurant on Saturday.


The Durant Fire Department was dispatched at 4:58 p.m. to Sherrer’s Restaurant on South Ninth Avenue after a call about smoke coming from the ceiling. When they arrived, they discovered that wiring to a neon sign had shorted out which caused smoldering inside a wall.


It was put out with a fire extinguisher and firefighters used a fan to clear the building of smoke. Damage was minimal, according to the fire department.


Owner Leon Sherrer was there when it happened which was a few minutes before opening time for the evening. The restaurant, in business since 1948, was immediately open for business that evening.