December 8, 2013
All commercial trucks are now allowed to cross into Texas on US-69/US-75 south of Durant following an earlier restriction at the request of our transportation and law enforcement counterparts in Texas, The Oklahoma Department of Transportation announced Sunday afternoon. Also, north and southbound SH-91 south of Durant, near Colbert is back open to traffic. While roads in southern Oklahoma are improving and passable, icy and slick conditions on these roads in Texas have made travel treacherous and many accidents have occurred. All travel into these areas is strongly discouraged through today and into the evening. Drivers should check Texas road conditions before traveling call 800-452-9292. Around-the-clock road clearance operations continue on highways and interstates in these areas.
During snow and/or ice conditions, motorists are asked to:
· Check road conditions before getting out on the roads.
· Stay at least 200 feet behind road-clearing equipment; crews need room to maneuver and can engage plowing or spreading materials without notice.
· Allow extra space between vehicles, so there is adequate distance for braking in wet and icy conditions.
· Be aware of “black ice,” which looks wet on the roadway, but is actually a thin layer of ice.
· Please be patient, plan trips ahead and allow extra time to reach destinations
Additional advisories will be sent from this office as conditions change. Out-of-State Road Conditions
New Mexico 800-432-4269
To check CURRENT ROAD CONDITIONS, call the Department of Public Safety’s ROAD CONDITIONS HOTLINE at 888-425-2385.