February 5, 2014
A space heater is believed to be the cause of a mobile home fire that killed a man Tuesday morning, according to the Durant Fire Department.
Firefighters were dispatched at 6:06 to a home at Money Talks Mobile Home Park, 1128 E. Main St., and when they arrived, one end of the mobile home was fully engulfed.
After putting out the fire, firefighters learned there was possibly someone inside, according to a department report, and a body was found inside the master bedroom area which was where the fire started.
The victim has been reported to be Dale Ray Dollar. His name has not been officially released pending positive identification by the medical examiner’s office.
According to Durant Fire Marshal Wade Boyd, a space heater near combustibles in the bedroom appeared to have caused the fire.
“It was by the bed and it probably caught the bed and clothing on fire,” Boyd said.
Boyd said he did not think the home had a smoke detector and he encouraged anyone in Durant city limits who needs one to call the fire department who will install the detector.
“During a fire, a smoke detector can give you the extra time to get out of the house safely,” Boyd said.