Bryan County firefighters were kept busy on Friday due to multiple structure fires.
Around 3:30 p.m. Friday, a mobile home was engulfed in flames on Sawmill Road south of Armstrong.
Two people were home at the time the fire broke out, and a quick thinking resident alerted her mother to get out of the burning home.
“I looked in the washroom and smoke was coming out,” said Sabrina Smith. That’s when she yelled for her mother Malisa Buckner to grab the pets and leave.
“She’s the one that yelled, ‘Get out of the house!’” said Buckner. “Right now, I’ve got my son coming over, so we do have a place to stay if we have to.”
Durant Fire Department responded to the fully engulfed home with a tanker, but when water supplies ran low, a tanker from nearby Caddo was called in.
Firefighters on the scene said the house would likely be a total loss. Buckner lived there with two daughters and two school-age granddaughters, including Caddo Schools third-grader Dayla Walker who arrived from school to see her home in flames.
She had received all new clothes for Christmas, and those are likely lost along with most of the family’s possessions inside. Nobody was injured, but a few family pets were still missing an hour after the fire.
There was no immediate word on what started the fire. The family was referred to the Bryan County chapter of American Red Cross for immediate assistance needs.
Later on Friday night, several departments in southern Bryan County responded to fires which damaged two structures in the Cartwright area.