Durant firefighters were dispatched at 9:41 to 415 N.E. Fifth Ave., and when they arrived two minutes later, the front of the house was engulfed in flames.
Carla Driskill, the occupant, told firefighters she was in bed when smoke began coming into the room. When she got up, she discovered that the front room was on fire, according to a department report.
Firefighters fought the fire until 11:23 a.m. Three-quarters of the home burned and the remainder sustained heavy smoke and heat damage. Two dogs escaped the fire, according to the fire department.
The fire caused an estimated $15,000 damage to a home valued at $20,000.
Durant Fire Marshal Lisa Jackson said the source of the fire was the electric heater. Also, she said there was an oxygen bottle near it that provided fuel for the fire.
Jackson reminds residents to be careful when using heaters.
“Make sure you keep them cleaned and away from combustible items,” she said.