The Durant Communications Center held training Tuesday for area emergency dispatchers on how to handle calls on “active shooters.”
The communications center, operated at the Durant Police Department, is responsible for all emergency dispatching in Bryan County. An “active shooter” is someone killing or attempting to kill people in enclosed or populated areas.
Among topics covered were:
- History of active shooters
- Why the increase in active shooters
- Characteristics/warning signs of an active shooter
- Dispatcher responsibility, knowledge and preparation
- Police response to the active shooter call